A Comic Is Like An Onion
[Originally Published 2/10/09]
Because when you peel back the layers, you start to cry? No. They just both have layers. That’s it.
I get a lot of emails and such about how I make the backgrounds for HE, so I wanted to post a behind-the-secenes layer seperation of one panel from a recent comic.
- First you see the basic inked outline
- Then I add color the character on the layer below the inks
- Next I’ve added a texture to the characters skin to make it look worn, cracked and evil. This is done by putting a hi res stone texture over the color layer, changing the layer mode to “overlay” and playing with the opacity
- After adding a foreground art element (the tube toy), I put a color adjustment layer on top of the character colors to add some colored highlights. I use the eraser tool to get the highlight shapes just right
- I put the basic background gradient on a new layer below everything else
- Then I add a paper texture layer on top of that, again as an “overlay” and tweak the opacity
- Now I ad a couple of layers of “streaks” using the a white colored brush, and shaving off the ends of the shapes with the eraser to make them sharper. I change the opacities of the layers so the shapes can overlap
- Then I put a color adjustment layer on top of everything to darken it up a bit and change the color pallet to achieve the mood Im looking for
- A bit of shading on a new layer, then I add the speech bubble and and the text.
Groundhog Day Comic Unfinished: First Look!
[Originally Published 2/2/09]
Check out today’s comic with just the text and basic pencils. The next steps are inking, colors, backgrounds and speech bubbles.
Packing up and moving to BERGOPOLIS!
Didn’t know if or when I’d get to share this, but since she just let the cat out of the bag I guess it’s cool to show you the logo/title card I just finished for my friend Amy Berg’s (Leverage, Eureka, Person Of Interest) tv/movie production company.
Super excited to maybe see this after an actual tv show on the actual tv. Personally I’m hoping she wraps her car in this because she’s a classy lady like that. #Bergmobile
I’m experimenting with bringing some single panel mini prints to Calgary Expo this weekend.
everyone gets fucked by bart o’ryan
The facial expression works for every possible emotion. Yes, for all three possible human emotions.
@hijinksensue Party Joel shakes it up Harlem style!
OK now somebody animate this.
Your own Party Joel!
When I was making my Calgary Expo graphic I saw this little guy that I drew to put on my Emerald City Comicon map. I made him a transparent PNG for you to do with as you please.
Here’s the inks and character colors from THIS COMIC.
Considering how muted the colors in the final strip ended up being, I thought I’d post this to show how bold they were in the beginning. Sometimes I don’t like having to sacrifice big, bold color for atmosphere.
Calgary Expo is this weekend! I’ll be at booth 925-1025 with Blind Ferret.
I’ll have books, prints, shirts, Lil’ Wil Plushies and sketches!Last year was my first Calgary Expo and in terms of sales it was my best convention ever. In terms of meeting super nice readers and being treated very well by the staff and volunteers, it was also right up there at the top. The thought that this year could potentially top last year in either of those categories is somewhat impossible to imagine, but I BELIEVE IN YOU CALGARY!
I believe in your ability to come to my booth and say nice things and shower me in your silly, pastel, plastic money! We can do this, Calgary! We’re a team! Did you somehow forget how much I enjoy tiny bottles of booze and baked goods? I STILL ENJOY THOSE THINGS! Bring those things too! This is going to be a good time for you and me, Calgary.